Saturday, July 28, 2012

Using coco peat for gardening

Lesson Learnt!!!

I have been reading about this method for quite sometime. There are many alternates to soil.
Water, Coco peat, Peat moss etc... Cultivation on water (Hydroponics) is clean. There is no wastage of resource and it can always be re-utilized. This doesn't work for me as I don't have enough space and not keen on spending money on this setup.
Coco peat & Peat moss can be used in pots. Coco peat works good for me. Light in weight and perfect for keeping on the terrace/balconies. 
I picked up two bricks of Coco peat from Garden Guru Store last week. This is how it looks:
You have to add water and the brick expands, giving you the medium for sowing. I a feet long.
The lesson I learnt was never to buy a brick unless you have a big bucket or a drum. I found it hard to cut into half and didn't have a big bucket/drum, so dropped it into a gunny bag and I am literally digging to get the coco peat. The material is loosely available. Recommend to use it.

About 500gms of coco peat brick would need 3lts for water. You do the math, if you buy a brick. Don't have to source water if bought loosely.

Most Important, coco peat doesn't have any nutrient value in it. You have to add nutrients. You have bags (similar to tea bags) available, that you place in the pot and every time you water the planet, the nutrients flows into the pots.
I am using Panchagavya(PG). An organic Indian mix, prepared from products derived from the Cow.
Check the wikipage for more details. However, it looks like this:

Usage: put 5% of PG in a liter of water and apply to the base of the plants. Many people are using it and the results are amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment