Friday, August 3, 2012

Choice of Containers

You learn from the choices you make. I learnt mine today.

Had planted Dil seeds in a 4"container and this is what I found today:

The entire container was full of roots and no space for the leaves to grow. Dil leaves can be harvested in a months time. I had sowed quite a lot earlier and didn't see much of growth and hence decided to investigate and found this.

Make sure you choose the right container. My rough estimate is a 6"deep container should be good to grow leafy vegetables like Cilantro, Spinach etc... whereas I recommend a 9"to 12"container for Dil.
I have picked up a 6" tub for growing Cilantro & Spinach.

For rest of the plants, tomatos, chilly, cauliflower, cabbage etc... a 12"container should be ideal. You could use the 20lts plastic buckets too.

For growing roots like potatoes, carrots, radish etc... you need containers at least two feet deep for a better harvest.

Having said the above, you are free to experiment with any container of your choice. 
You learn only after trying it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment