Saturday, August 4, 2012

Sowing Dil in Containers

Picked up Dil in a promotion event for Organic farming. Paid Rs.10 for them:

The person at the stall said its Organic. But was worth the money spent.









Please sow Dil in a pot which is at least 9"or 12"deep. I tried with 4"containers and sprinkled the seeds on the container.

Dil is ready for harvest almost in a months time. But in my case, even after a month, there were no signs of the plant growing. They tend to grow up to a height of 12". This was the status of my plants after a month:
The leaves started to split but didn't gain height. I decided to investigate the cause and found this:

The entire container was consumed with roots and there was no space for them to spread. Hence, I recommend using a deep container, if you are not sowing them in the ground.
Instead of sprinkling the seeds. Draw lines on the ground/container with your index finger or a stick. Sow the seeds in those lines. Leave space of 3" between the rows.
To save my plants, I moved them to a deeper container:


Will wait for another week and then harvest the leaves.

Please note: Plants need space and room to grow else you'll have dwarf varieties. 

No comments:

Post a Comment