Friday, August 10, 2012

Pests in my Garden :(

My garden is under attack!!!

Aphids on Chili Plant

I had not taken a notice this, and resulted in severe Aphid infestation. Luckily, Neem Magic (picked up from VMSRF, BTM Layout, Bangalore) came to my rescue.
There are many cures for Aphid removal:
1. Spray with soap/detergent water
2. Use combination of Garlic, Chili, Ginger paste and sprinkle
3. Place an aluminium foil underneath the plant, Aphids don't like the Sun much
4. Neem solution/magic, easily available in the market. Spray everyday till you don't see the Aphids
5. Banana peel. place one near the stem. I haven't tried this, but read it works

Mosaic Virus on Tomato Plant
I had received this plant as a gift from VMSRF. Was very happy the way it was growing. Looks like I have to get rid of the plant now. :(
It is affected by the Mosaic Virus. There is no cure for this.
And the only solution is to uproot the plant and burn it. The virus seems to survive for 50years even after the plant is dead.
For now, I have cut the branches of the plant. Hoping that it'll survive, but the chances are less.
If it doesn't then, burn the plant and sterile the soil by drying it under the Sun.

Leaf Miner on Tomato Plant
My Tomato plant has become a permanent home for all different pests/viruses.
Leaf Miner is the larvae of insects, which survives in-between a leaf, eats the leaf tissues :(
There is no insecticide, neither chemical nor organic, available for this.
However, people say the following methods work:
1. Sticky yellow strips. They attract the insects to leave the larvae on the yellow strip.
2. Trap crops. Plant Marigold among your pots/plants.
3. Sprinkle Neem solution should contain the infestation.
4. Cut the infected leaves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment